Feb 4, 2009

~mom

Feb. 3 marked the 16th anniversary of the death of my mother. So long ago, but still so fresh in my mind. Mom had suffered a stroke and came to live for a while with me and my children. Courtnie gave up her room and roomed with me so mom could have her room. Daniel would spend most of the day in her room watching 'Inspector Gadget' with a bottle propped in his mouth. Nick spent time with me during this. He was my helper. Mom loved to watch my children and I can look back now and am so grateful for that time with her, even though it was not always easy. I believe that time with mom in our home taught my children the value of family and of sacrifice. Once I started the nursing program, mom lived in the West Millard Care Center. I had started nursing school in Richfield and was traveling back and forth each day. Usually I would get home and just as though mom had radar, she would call and ask me to come by and help with something. I can't tell you how guilty I felt at times when I wanted to be home with my children and mom wanted me with her. If any of you know the geography of Delta, you would know that if I just headed west on main street, I could hit highway 6 and straight to Nevada. So many times that is just what I wanted to do. There was definitely a battle for my time during this period.The night prior to her death, she and I had gotten into an argument (something we did very little of) and I left her there to go home to my kids.The next morning something inside of me told me not to go to Richfield without stopping by and talking with mom. Both of us were so glad to see each other. I was sorry, mom was sorry, and after we both shed tears, I left knowing we were on the best of terms. Three hours later, she was gone.I'm trying to keep this short, because I could probably go on and on about the many things that occurred after mom's stroke. Some great memories and some not so great.So I will end with this; mom would be turning 85 this coming Feb. 6th. As I stated in my first blog, memories of her come and go. I am so very thankful for having had that time with my mom. She was an incredible woman and I miss her.

4 comments:

Kris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nick Jarvis said...

good post mom, I can still remember those times, as much of a blessing as a struggle, I love you mom.

Shelley said...

I have no idea how I ended up here but...How are you?
email me shelleybeck@cut.net

Courtnie said...

What a beautiful post. It is so hard to imagine it has been that long. She really was such an inspiration and even when she was sick she was such a strong women. I hope that I can always carry as much strength as she did. And I am so proud of how much you did for all of us at that time. You are amazing mother. I love you.

I'm a Woman

Doug Wead joins XanGo

XanGo Convention

Powered by weRead